Thursday, July 17, 2014

July 17 Position Report

7/17/14 Wandering Dolphin POS

0600 Hawaiian Standard Time- 1600 GMT
N 22 30.68  W159 14.72
COG 340T
SOG 5-6 kt

Wind: NNE 20-25 ?? Arrrrrrrg
Pressure: 29.75
Temp: 87.4F
Seas: E 7-8 ft
Sky: cloudy with squalls
Sails: double reefed main and reefed jib

Good Morning from a romping, wet, ride in the North Pacific!

Yesterday morning Rebecca and I ran over for coffee right before we left and we met a very nice honeymooning couple from Chicago.  He is a pastor and prayed for us right before we left.  What a super way to start a long offshore trip!

We left Oahu knowing that this little system was moving through and that it was blowing east at 20+ knots which meant the channel between Oahu and Kauai was going to be rough with enhanced wind.   It was!  We were only sailing for about an hour before I noticed that a little spot in one of the jib seams high up was coming apart.  Great!  I turned the boat so it would be closer to the island as we went around it to the west and sure enough that put us in the Lee enough to drop the sail.  Emily sat on the sail and held on to it while I taped and resewed the seam.  We raised the sail just as we left the Lee and BAM! We were hit with 30/35 knots of wind from the NNE...  I figured that was just an effect of the island but it's still blowing and we are close hauled heading NW.  You might think that is depressing since Washington is to our NE, and it is, but we actually need to be a little west of here and way north to pass the notorious North Pacific High which is an area with no wind, once we pass it the wind changes to the west and we can head for Washington.  We couldn't afford our regular weather guy this trip but my sailing buddy Richard is at least letting me know where the wind is.  Thanks Richard!

Yesterday for the family was all about getting the feel of being offshore once again.  There were a lot of green looks and evil eyes pointed my way too but Rebecca made a great supper of pesto and parm. noodles and Hawaiian sweet roll turkey sandwiches and that made everyone feel much better.  Food in your belly actually helps you feel less seasick.... Well that and the Sturgeron.

I want to thank those of you who shared our Facebook page and blog.  It takes quite a bit of my time to do this and I know there are a lot of folks out there who need a break from their daily life to dream and live these passages with us.  I used to sit at my desk and read along and I remember what it was like, for those few minutes I could be out there with those folks.  That's what I hope this does for you.

Thanks for the messages!  We are off to a fun start with Jared sending us the worlds most deadly animals and Jim V. Sending us his usual fun facts and riddles as well as his own life stories.  Thanks guys!  Also thanks to my brother Chuck and sister-in-law Gayle, we appreciate your prayers and support and we sure miss ya!

Remember, we update our Wandering Dolphin Facebook Page throughout the day in real time using our Delorme InReach.  I will try to write a little more tomorrow but I'm a little green right now myself!

Bumping and Bouncing,
Captain Tofer, Rebecca, EmilyAnne, Kanyon, Kaleb, and Benny

No comments:

Post a Comment